Kampo Cultural Center was established in April, 1972 (47th year of the Showa era), as the New York branch of the Japan Calligraphy Education Federation and as a base for its overseas activities. The Center's purpose, to teach traditional Japanese calligraphy to people outside of Japan, was part of a larger goal to promote mutual understanding and world peace. In 1975 (51 Showa), we opened our doors on Bond Street.
The Center was named for Harada Kampo Soshi, founder of the Japan Calligraphy Education Foundation. An earnest practioner and teacher of calligraphy for over thirty years, Master Kampo was the honorary chairman of the foundation, which has more than 800,000 students. His slogan, "Learn correct characters, learn beautiful characters" encourages self-fulfillment. His doctrine was to foster a better humankind with "correct spirits, beautiful spirits."
Master Kampo's overseas activities went beyond the framework of calligraphy and gave evidence of the greatness of his humanity. He used calligraphy to create bonds between the spirits of people from different cultures and to expand mutual understanding on a level that transcends nationality, language, culture and race. He taught dozens of times in the U. S., as well as in Mexico, China, Nepal, Malaysia, Israel and England.
His activities were based on a doctrine which seeks peace
in a world dominated by materialism, confusion and the danger of
nuclear war. Guided by Master Kampo's principles, Kampo Cultural Center
has promoted international cultural exchange and encouraged activities
which contribute to world peace, friendship and goodwill.
Kampo Cultural Center
PO Box 1108
New York, NY 10276-1108